Steward Wise at the International Stewardship Forum
|Andrea Chmielinski giving a presentation on Circular Economy.|
Earlier this month, Steward Wise Principal and Founder, Andrea Chmielinski, embarked on a journey to Australia to participate in the International Stewardship Forum hosted by the Global Product Stewardship Council (GlobalPSC).
Hosted in Sydney, Australia over April 4 - 6, 2018, the Forum brought speakers from Canada, the USA, Europe, South Africa, Asia and Chile to share best practices and experiences from their home countries.
Andrea gave three talks from a millennial Canadian perspective:
- The Business Case for EPR: From "Cost and Risk Reduction" to "Synergistic Value Creation"
- EPR Programs in Canada for Waste Electronics and Electrical Equipment (consumer electronics, batteries, fluorescent and other light bulbs, and small and large appliances)
- Circular Economy in Action: Grassroots efforts and social enterprise models in Canada
The International Stewardship Forum was a platform for GlobalPSC and the Australia Government Department of Environment and Energy to gain practical insights from product stewardship and extended producer responsibility programs across a broad range of products and substances.
The forum was hosted and supported by the Australian Government in order to inform the review of the Product Stewardship Act 2011 and comprised of two days of presentations, panel discussions and question periods on 4-5 April 2018, followed by one day of exclusive invitation-only modified Chatham House discussions.
The topics up for discussion were Circular Economy, Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), product stewardship, plastic pollution and Waste Electronics and Electrical Equipment (WEEE). The official main themes were:
- Overview of the international landscape and practical implications for Australia
- Best practice policies and programs
- The business case for product stewardship (corporate perspective)
- Engagement and facilitation
- The future of product stewardship: issues and opportunities (including Circular Economy).
Follow us on twitter @OneWiseSteward