Thursday, 31 August 2017

Ten Tips for the 2017 Éco Entreprise Québec Reports

The reporting deadline for the EEQ 2017 Schedule of Contributions is Tuesday, October 10, 2017. With this deadline fast approaching, there are lots of details to consider in the preparation of your report. Steward Wise has prepared this list of tips for your consideration as you get the report development underway (or finished!).

1)      Get to know your suppliers
If your suppliers provide paper and packaging to your company and have a business address in Quebec, they are obligated to report on paper and packaging first. Avoid duplicating these weights for EEQ and lower your final invoice by subtracting the weights supplied by Quebecois businesses from your final total.  Check for their steward status by logging into the ECO-D portal and finding the “list of companies expected to report.” If a Quebec supplier is not listed, confirm their business address here and remove them from your report.

2)      Focus on Consumer Channels and Remove B2B
Are you in a business that sells to both consumers and businesses? If so, be sure to subtract the weight of paper and packaging generated from business-to-business (“B2B”) transactions. The EEQ program finances mostly residential blue box recycling. Hopefully your commercial customers recycle your content out of goodwill!

Pro tip:  EEQ is considering the designation of certain materials from B2B channels in the future. On September 27 they are hosting a meeting to discuss. To learn more, see this news release from EEQ. Start thinking about data collection now!

3)      20% Credit for Post-Consumer Recycled Content… Documentation Required!
EEQ offers a 20% credit on fees where stewards can provide robust documentation of meeting minimum thresholds as outlined below. Documentation includes certifications (i.e. from the Forestry Stewardship Council), chain of custody documentation, confirmation letters from suppliers, ISO14001 or BNQ standard 8952-911, etc. Credits are issued on a per-category basis. For more information visit the EEQ website.

4)      General-Use Paper Exclusions and Inclusions
Be sure to exclude greeting cards, workbooks/notebooks, personal agendas, white envelopes purchased in bulk, and calendars. However, blank sheets of paper for general use sold through consumer channels, such as printer paper, must be included in your report.

5)      Report PVC plastics in the “PLA and other degradable plastics” category (New in 2017!)
PVC plastic now grouped under the PLA and other degradable plastics category for EEQ. In previous years PVC was grouped under the “Other Plastics” category. Don’t forget this switch!

6)      Blister Packs
Not only are blister packs difficult to open, they are difficult to report properly! If a blister pack is made of plastic and only plastic, categorize it under the appropriate plastics category. However, if a blister pack back panel is made of boxboard and is “difficult to remove,” (i.e. glued to the plastic front panel), the entire package must be categorized under “Paper Laminates.” This category has a higher fee, so follow EEQ’s eco design tips in the future!

7)      LDPE/HDPE Film VS. Plastic Laminates
The categorization of LDPE/HDPE film should be quite straight forward if you know the resin code of the film protecting your products. Resin code #2 is HDPE and #4 is LDPE. If the resin codes are not marked on the film itself, ask your suppliers to confirm the type of resin. “Plastic Laminates” are films not made of LDPE, HDPE, PVC, PLA (polylactic acid) or any other degradable plastic.  If the film is made of several different types of plastic or a combination of several
materials, including plastic, it should be entered under Plastic Laminates.
Pro tip: Bubble wrap is to be categorized under “Plastic Laminates.”

8)       Caps on bottles, tetra packs and gable top containers
Detachable caps and covers on bottles and containers must be reported under the category that best reflects their resin make-up. Some schemes allow the caps to be grouped with the category of the bottle itself, but EEQ requires the steward to make the distinction.

9)       Bags
Include single-use bags such as grocery store plastic bags or drive-thru/take out food bags. Categorize plastic bags in either “LDPE/HDPE Plastic Shopping Bags” or “Plastic Laminates” (see tip #7). Exclude any plastic bags that are manufactured to be re-usable. Categorize paper bags in “Kraft Paper Shopping Bags” if the bag is brown craft paper. Any other non-laminated paper bag types must be categorized in “Boxboard and other Paper Packaging.” Laminated paper bags should be categorized in “Paper Laminates.”
Pro Tip: Exclude any bags sold as a product. Examples include, sandwich bags, freezer bags, yard waste bags, etc.

10)     PET – Resin Code #1
PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) is one of the most popular types of plastic for use in bottles and containers. It can be made in a variety of colours and varying degrees of transparency. EEQ has two categories for PET, “PET Bottles” and “PET Containers.” EEQ will only accept transparent clear, green or blue PET bottles and containers to be categorized as PET. Opaque PET containers must be categorized under “Other Plastics.”

Steward Wise hopes this article was useful for you. If there wasn’t anything applicable above, please feel free to comment below, contact us from our website or email

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment